Thursday 30 March 2023

why do you look at me like that?

When I first heard this version of this old song I immediately fell in love with it. However, only now there's a proper video. Thank you, Sofia Silva for it.
"Por Que Me Olhas Assim?" (Why do you look at me like that?) is just one of many wonderful songs of Fausto, Fausto Bordalo Dias. Like many other Fausto songs, it has been covered by many artists, like Camané, Luís Represas. BUT 12 months ago I heard this version. Stunningly beautiful.

Tell me now your name, if we already said yes. By our lingering gazes, why do you stare at me like that? Why are you around me like this?

All the light on the avenue unfolds in passion. Druid spells by the touch of your hand. Mild winds sound across the brune seas of my heart.

Mirroring the shop windows of the endless city. You appeared divine, why do you approach me like this? Why do you touch me like this?

And we exchange pendants, silly old words. With different accents, our prose is ready. Turning corners and crevices along the path of letters. That everything else doesn't count.

And there we were bold for late walks. Wandering the asphalt, crossing other bridges of seas that are rivers. And in a bar after hours, if I cry I beg your pardon. Oh, my dear, it's just that I sing inside, dreaming that I'm in Lisbon.

Tell me then, that I am yours and you're all for me. That you put me at my peak, why do you hug me like this? Why do you kiss me like that?

For this night ahead, if you ask me at last. In a sky of glittering advertisements, let's get married in Berlin. In the vain light of the headlights the sheets are silk. why do you love me like this.

And there we were bold for late walks. Wandering the asphalt, crossing other bridges of seas that are rivers. And in a bar after hours, if I cry I beg your pardon. Oh, my dear, it's just that I sing inside dreaming that I'm in Lisbon.



1 comment:

asperezas said...


Ouvi esta versão desta jóia (uma das muitas do vasto tesouro de Fausto) há perto de um ano, no dia 2 de Abril, creio, o título do último álbum de A Garota Não. Fiquei deslumbrado, é melhor do que a versão original, que a versão do Camané, do Luís Represas e todas as outras. Só agora há um vídeo de uma prestação ao vivo.