Sunday 26 February 2023

we are accidents waiting to happen

"There There" ("The Boney King of Nowhere.") was written and composed at least since the year 2000 and finally released in 2003, 20 years ago. Thom Yorke resumed its lyrics as something "supposed to be comforting – 'It's alright, you're just imagining it'" and wrote it after watching Bagpuss (an animated children's television series) with his young son Noah. However, these lyrics can transport the listeners to other environments, of course.

In pitch dark, I go walking in your landscape. Broken branches, Trip me as I speak.
Just 'cause you feel it, Doesn't mean it's there.

There's always a siren, Singing you to shipwreck (Don't reach out, don't reach out)
Steer away from these rocks, We'd be a walking disaster (Don't reach out, don't reach out)
Just 'cause you feel it, Doesn't mean it's there (Someone on your shoulder) There, there.
Why so green. And lonely, and lonely. And lonely.
Heaven sent you. To me, to me. To me.
We are accidents. Waiting, waiting. To happen.

Dedicated to Sarah.