Thursday 12 December 2013

From Galicia with love

A poem from Manuel Curros Enríquez, a fighter for the cause of the Galician language at 1800s, dedicated to Rosalía de Castro, poetess from the same cause, composed and adapted to Portuguese by José Niza and firstly sang by Adriano Correia de Oliveira in 1971, and now brilliantly covered by Vicente, son of Jorge Palma:


  Coming by the beach sand, I saw her passing.
A star on the forehead, a song on her lips.
Coming so lonely in the endless night,
That I even prayed for the poor crazy.

Me, I have no one to pray for me...
Me, I have no one to pray for me.

Muse of the people that passing I saw.
Eaten by wolves. Eaten she died.

It's her bones you're saving.

Ah, those who have a star on their forehead!
Ah, those who have a song on their lips!

Coming by the beach sand, I saw her passing.
A star on the forehead, a song on her lips.

2 comments:

valerie walsh said...

i have already listened a few times (5) and it is so beautiful! the son has a beautiful sound and captured some soulfulness from his father :) really love this! have a happy thursday :}

asperezas said...

:D
yeah, it's so addicting :}

Anyway, I guess these lyrics meant to catch the environment of those wild times (the abandoned crazy people and the wild wolves around) transposed to the submission of the Spanish nations and the Galicians in particular to the Castilian language...

Have a lovely day :)